[Discuss] Remote builds (Re: SVN server - What hardware do I need?)

On 04/23/2013 12:39 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> On 4/23/2013 7:32 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>> 2 years ago we set up our local build environment around git. But, we
>> use SVN for a code repository for 2 of our products because (1) we are
>> not allowed to use git and (2) the software is written by a third party
>> in the Netherlands who uses SVN.
> Which means you're stuck using and maintaining two different,
> incompatible build systems. This is PRECISELY what I'm on about. If you
> lack the authority to bring everyone on board then this is what will
> happen. Whether or not you still have a job afterwards depends on who it
> is the refuses to go along.

In our case in Boston, the SVN repositories are for 2 specific products
that are essentially maintained by a third party developer. It is
located on a single machine. The git repositories are for the stuff we
do here in the office. If I were to have a vote, I would dump SVN, but
the intent is to have the SVN repository to essentially be a mirror of
the one in Europe. I don't manage the SVN repository.

In Toronto they have both SVN and CVS repositories for some rather large
projects. I don't know what their plans are, but I hope it is not ClearCase.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix