[Discuss] Remote builds (Re: SVN server - What hardware do I need?)

On 4/22/2013 11:48 PM, Rich Braun wrote:
> Never would've thought I'd be saying this.  Five years ago I assumed that as a
> developer you'd want to put the whole cloud onto your personal MacBook or
> Fedora/Ubuntu laptop.  But even DevOps guys don't want to be sysadmins of
> their own hyper-complicated toolchain.

The problem here is that your tool chain is a steaming pile of crap.
Moving from a decentralized pile of crap to a centralized pile of crap
won't make it any less of a pile of crap. All it does is dump all of
your piles of crap on top of some expensive infrastructure.

Fixing piles of crap like that isn't a job for a sysadmin or a
programmer. It's a job for a release manager. Someone given the budget
of time and personnel and equipment to clean up the crap. Someone given
the authority to make programmers use the new system whether they like
it or not.

I would suggest that if you can't get that authority in writing then get
out now. All it will take is one developer with more clout than you have
to say "no" to leave you responsible for a very expensive failure.

--
Rich P.