[Discuss] Security through obscurity

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 08:19:12PM -0400, Rich Pieri wrote:
> --On Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:42 PM -0400 Tom Metro
> <tmetro+blu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >We're getting a bit wrapped up in dogma. This isn't a black-and-white
> >issue. If you take a broad enough definition of "obscurity" it could be
> >taken to mean your knowledge of a password - it's obscure, you know it,
> >and yet it's guessable, just like the oddball port your service is
> >running on.
>
> Passwords aren't obscured things. They're supposed to be secrets. A
> password that is not a secret but merely obscured is a password that
> has been compromised.

You're being pointlessly pedantic... the words "secret" and "obscure"
are near-synonyms, and Tom already stipulated a broad definition of
"obscure".

> >There's really no reason why a system administrator should reject an
> >obscurity layer, if their security fundamentals are already good, as
> >long as in their judgment the obscurity doesn't impact their users. (For
>
> If the fundamentals are good then the obscurity layer adds no
> tangible security to the system while at the same time making the
> system more inconvenient for users.

Not true.  As I've already said, it slows down your attacker.  They
can't immediately attack you with a known vulnerability; they need to
first expend some effort to determine where you're vulnerable.
Depending on what you're running, and what they're targeting, this
could take a couple of minutes, or it could take a couple of days...

But it can do more than that.  Take the case of a zero-day exploit to
a public service your site MUST provide, let's say Apache.  Your
security is as good as it can reasonably be, but your system is
vulnerable and there's no possible way you can know; the information
isn't available to anyone but the attacker.  But he writes an exploit
and posts it on some hacker site, and it's immediately picked up by
some script kiddie and run against your site.

Historically, a number of such exploits actually check the response
from your server to see if it's vulnerable, and move on if it does not
recognize the server as being the target.  Here, a little security
through obscurity--shutting off ServerSignature and changing the
Server: response header via a feature of mod_security--could very well
save your site, where no other measure you're likely to be able to
implement would.

And the impact to users of changing your welcome banner?  Zero.

Will doing this always save you?  Absolutely not.  If the script
doesn't bother to check the response but just assumes you're
vulnerable and always executes the attack, you lose.  If a
knowledgeable attacker finds the exploit and targets you directly,
chances are you lose... but maybe not, depending on how serious he
is.

There's a significant statistical probability that making such a
change will save you from a number of attacks, and the cost of making
the change at implementation time is very nearly zero.  So why
WOULDN'T you do it?

> Obscurity makes it harder to manage the system. I can't use standard
> tools to monitor my services if they're not running on standard
> ports and protocols.

Maybe, probably not.  A reasonable tool will let you specify where the
service is running.

> I can't automatically install system and security updates with
> cron-apt;

In the example I gave, this is not prevented: cron-apt does not muck
with your server configuration.  If you modify your error document, it
doesn't muck with those either.  This is unlikely to ever be an issue
unless you need to modify code to do it.

> I have to validate every non-standard change.

In practice, not likely... in many such cases it's a trivial config
change.

> This makes my job that much more difficult. It is prone to mistakes
> and unforeseen consequences, and as a direct result makes the whole
> system that much less secure and reliable.

In some cases perhaps, but in most security-concious apps which have
facilities for this sort of thing, absolutely not.

> >But the real value in obscurity measures is cutting down on noise, which
> >doesn't directly impact security, but can indirectly help it by making
> >real attacks far more visible, and avoid alarm fatigue. You're merely
> >filtering out the nuisance.
>
> I want that "noise" because it isn't noise. It's useful information.

Sometimes.   Like with a host-based IDS, you want a little noise, so
you know the tools are doing their job.  For a web server, which
recieves hundreds of thousands connections, a significant percentage
of which are virtually guaranteed to be some sort of attack traffic,
it really is just noise.  If you can get rid of it, seems like a good
thing to me.

> If I don't have that "noise" then I can't show the fiscal
> office anything tangible to justify the expense of intrusion
> detection and prevention systems. As a matter of fact, yes, I have
> once been asked to provide such logs for such purposes.

If you need to, you can always shut them off...  But I would just say
that I did that analysis before it was implemented, and now that it is
implemented, the data is not available.  "I can get it if you want but
we'll be more vulnerable to attack while I collect the data" I've
found is usually enough to get them off your back.

-=-=-=-=-