[Discuss] Security through obscurity

[Please update subjects when a thread veers off to a distinctly
different topic.]

Derek Martin wrote:
> Rich Pieri wrote:
>> Security by obscurity is no security at all.
>
> This is a popular mantra of paid security professionals, but it is a
> fallacy, and in fact is a tool that those very same people employ
> every day (e.g. recommendations to run ssh servers on non-standard
> ports, configure servers to respond with non-default banners, etc.).
> The benefits of such measures often amount to foiling script kiddies
> who may otherwise compromise your otherwise vulnerable system with
> zero effort, but that itself can be a big win, since this is the
> overwhelming majority of attack traffic that most sites see.

We're getting a bit wrapped up in dogma. This isn't a black-and-white
issue. If you take a broad enough definition of "obscurity" it could be
taken to mean your knowledge of a password - it's obscure, you know it,
and yet it's guessable, just like the oddball port your service is
running on.

It has already been mentioned that the reason why security through
obscurity is generally considered bad, is because it is often used as an
excuse for having lax real security. (For example, in the scenario
above, the owners of the service running on a non-standard port should
not be slow to install security updates to their service, thinking they
are safe merely because they are using a non-standard port. Although
statistically speaking, they are indeed safer than if they weren't using
a non-standard port, as the vast majority of attack attempts are
unsophisticated scripts. [Before you jump to dispute that, note I said
*statistically* speaking.])

There's really no reason why a system administrator should reject an
obscurity layer, if their security fundamentals are already good, as
long as in their judgment the obscurity doesn't impact their users. (For
example, picking a non-standard VPN port can have near zero impact, as
VPN setup is a one-time thing, and you're already supplying the user
with setup documentation covering numerous parameters. Or you're using a
custom pre-configured client.)

But the real value in obscurity measures is cutting down on noise, which
doesn't directly impact security, but can indirectly help it by making
real attacks far more visible, and avoid alarm fatigue. You're merely
filtering out the nuisance.

For example, if you can use a non-standard ssh port without impacting
your users, and you log and monitor attack attempts against it (as you
should), switching to a non-standard port will reduce those logged
attacks to virtually zero. That's useful.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA