[Discuss] FOSS email that doesn't suck -- does such a thing exist?

On 3/18/2013 8:39 AM, Daniel Barrett wrote:
> I use Emacs's "VM" package, combined with fetchmail which downloads email
> from a third-party IMAP server to my main home PC every few minutes.  To
> access remotely, I just SSH in.

I used to use Emacs VM. It's what I used between Rmail and Gnus.

MULE makes Emacs a non-starter for mail. MULE assumes that all buffers
are mult-byte unless explicitly told otherwise. MULE's behavior has
irrecoverably damaged and lost mail for me and others in the past. It
cannot be disabled globally. RMS refuses to change this behavior,
insisting that it isn't broken. Therefore I will not use Emacs for mail.
I cannot afford the risk of MULE eating my mail again.

--
Rich P.