[Discuss] FOSS email that doesn't suck -- does such a thing exist?

On Mon, 2013-03-18 at 01:34 -0400, Shirley M?rquez D?lcey wrote:
> Part of the problem is that email just isn't sexy right now. Young
> people aren't using it much and it's overrun with spam. Lots of people
> have given up or gone to the big webmail services. All of this means
> that developers aren't finding it an interesting place to spend their
> efforts.

There's core work with things like NotMuch, while being nailed to emacs
in it's initial implementation provides a great core to build around.

It's not just that Email isn't sexy, it's been neglected by developers
who's unimaginative designs have killed it. I've seen so many myopic
debates on which of two nasty ways to show emails is better. It's sad
really because it's a space that with some good design could really be
brought back to life.

Google Mail shows off quite a few good designs itself. Why aren't foss
email clients at least mindlessly copying that like they copied outlook?
Dunno.

Martin,