[Discuss] Cinnamon update

I wrote:
> I installed Cinnamon on top of Ubuntu 12.04 in October...
> There were still some minor bugs: I had observed a bug with the
> notification applet incrementing the notification count for time-limited
> notifications, and then not decrementing the count when those
> notifications expire. That appears to have been fixed recently.

With my last reboot, this bug:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/1250

seems to have returned.

> There are some other issues with the applets not working as expected,
> but I haven't really bothered to test them out again since I initially
> set up the desktop. They're largely informational eyecandy, so I haven't
> been motivated to revisit, but I should.

One of these was the weather applet.

http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/17

Apparently it is not unusual for Cinnamon applets to not provide any
visual feedback on the panel when you add them, and they don't appear
until you've restarted Cinnamon. (Given that some applets handle this
better, I'm assuming this is just the result of inexperienced applet
developers.)

The weather applet falls into this category. Adding it, followed by a
reboot, resulted in a functional applet.

> The two things I miss most from GNOME 2 are the ability to integrate a
> good task switcher, like DockbarX, into the main panel...

DockbarX seems to be getting buggier, but fortunately I've since found a
proper Cinnamon applet that provides a dock that resides on the panel:

http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/16

Like the weather applet, I had tried installing this one back in
October, but immediately removed it from the panel when adding t has no
apparent effect, assuming it was broken. A reboot brought it to life.

It works decent, but instead of showing a textual list of the windows
open for an application on the dock, it attempts to implement window
previews, which are slow to render and take up a lot of space. They're
drawn in a horizontal row above/below the dock, and for an application
like a web browser where you might have dozens of windows open, the
preview icons will easily stretch off either side of your monitor (this
even happens for me when spanning across two monitors).

It's mostly usable, and an improvement over the unintegrated
DockbarX, but I end up using this other window switcher applet:
http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/98

as a backup.

> The workspace switcher supplied for Cinnamon just shows a matrix of
> plain boxes with numbers in them representing the workspace number - no
> visual preview/thumbnail, and it uses a background color that makes it
> blend in to the panel too well. I'd like to be able to try out
> persistently named workspaces, which are available in some other modern
> desktops.

I still haven't fund a better workspace switcher.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA