[Discuss] [OT] Smart Phones

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 03:49:55
<jc at trillian.mit.edu> wrote:

> So I was hoping for a few  other  evaluations  of  phones,  but  that
> hasn't appeared so far.  Do others have suggestions for what are good
> geek-friendly "smart phones" these days? I'm thinking of replacing my
> old  HTC-1  with  something better, and wondering if it's possible to
> make sense of the commercial hype.

Ain't no such thing as a good smartphone. Every smartphone is a little
box of compromises. Maybe you get a big, bright screen but the battery
life sucks. Or you get decent battery life but the signal and voice
quality are terrible. Maybe you get decent audio but you have no
storage expansion. And regardless of what you buy you're locked into
that vendor's ecosystem. And regardless of what you buy today, it'll be
obsolete within a year if it isn't already hugging the trailing edge.

If what you have works then replacing it is a waste of money. Keep it,
maybe buy a new battery pack if it's not holding a charge.

If it doesn't work then get something cheap from a low budget, no
contract carrier like Page Plus or Tracfone. If you like what you get
then you got something you like for cheap. If you don't then you're out
a whole lot less than you would be with a major carrier.

--
Rich P.