[Discuss] [OT] Smart Phones

> Mark Woodward <markw at mohawksoft.com> wrote:
>>I think I was the last human being above the age of 16 to get a smart
>>phone.
>
> You're not the last. I still don't own one and perhaps never will.  My
> days
> are already jam-packed with technology; the last thing I desire is to
> carry
> more technology around with me.
>
> #define LIFESTYLE_GENTLE_RANT 1
>
> Other than GPS (which I have in my car), I have yet to encounter a single
> smartphone app that would make my life *happier*. This is not a troll so
> please don't respond with your dozen favorite apps. :-) My priorities are
> just different.

Well, my reason for getting was a family vacation. I needed to be able to
answer email. We are on a tight release schedule, but there is more...

As I own it, I realize that it is actually less of a phone and more of a
consolidation of various utilities.

GPS for car, don't need it.
Bike computer for bicycle, don't need it
Laptop or tablet for quick email, don't need it
Small notebook for shopping lists and contacts, don't need it.

It isn't "life changing" in as much as that term means, but it does allow
me to travel lighter.

> If I'm standing in a long, boring line waiting for something, I don't want
> to whip out a phone and surf the web or play a game. I'd rather think
> interesting thoughts, compose music in my head, read a book, or harangue
> the person responsible for the long delay. (I'd chat with the person next
> to me, but he's playing with his smartphone.)

You can read a book on a smart phone.

> Work is insanely busy. So when I'm not at work, I like living slowly,
> cultivating patience.  Enjoying a meal without the beep of a text
> message. I understand that others need to stay in contact with work
> 24x7. I've chosen not to live that way, and to accept whatever compromises
> come with that choice. (Even so, I'm having a successful career in the
> tech
> industry. It's a balancing act.)

True most of the time, but any job with responsibilities has the
occasional need to intrude on personal life.