[Discuss] USB thumbdrive, Linux only usage: FAT vs NTFS vs other? TRIM support?

On 02/28/2013 12:00 AM, Rich Pieri wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 17:55:29 -0600
> Derek Martin <invalid at pizzashack.org> wrote:
>
>> Additionally, if your work desktop is shared, i.e. other users can log
>> into it over the network, doing this will enable ANYONE to access all
>> your files on the usb disk.  From their desktop.  Without you knowing.
> How is this at all different from FAT32 or exFAT?

USB thumb drives are inherently insecure without encryption. It does not
matter if the file system is FATxxx or ext2. Although I always carry one
with me, we are not permitted to use them at work. (And yes, the company
hands them out free at marketing events).

But, with a Linux file system, then the drive is as secure as a local
drive (Linux permissions).

My personal policy is that I use thumb drives maybe as sneaker net when
needed or to copy WPA data (low risk for me since I would change the WPA
if I lost the drive). I never use it for system passwordsor company
confidential documents.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix