[Discuss] Server won't boot kernel. initramfs problem?

Rich Pieri wrote:
> John Abreau wrote:
>> Is it possible to test RAM on a live system, rather than having to
>> boot into memtest86?
>
> A running system has programs like the kernel wired in physical memory.
> These regions cannot be exercised.

In theory, assuming there is some free RAM, an in-kernel memory tester
could move a block of memory, remap its location, and then write and
compare test patterns in the original location. It could slowly work its
way through the entire system memory. If designed to minimally impact a
running system, it might take hours to do a single pass that memtest
would do in minutes.

The bigger question is whether anyone will be sufficiently motivated to
build such a tool. It requires the combination of being sufficiently
concerned about memory errors and not wanting to pay the premium for ECC
RAM.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro