[Discuss] IPv6 Hardware

"Chris O'Connell" <omegahalo at gmail.com> writes:

> I attended the BLU presentation this week.  Really interesting topic, great
> presentation!  One area that wasn't covered heavily was hardware.  I'm
> curious, what hardware (switches, routers, wireless) are people using for
> their IPv6 in their home and their offices, and why?

    Thank you!

    I personally don't have much that I file under "hardware" that does
ipv6.

    I can think of my switch, my printer, the wired mp3 player box, and
a hotspot as "hardware" things.

    My printer is old enough to drive.  The wired mp3 player isn't much
younger.  The switch is recent, and its management is ipv4 only.  It
switches v6 traffic without any trouble.  I'm not expecting to disable
v4 around here any time soon, so I can live with this.

    The hotspot I bought during my local hurricane sandy outage, and
ipv6 just wasn't a priority.  It's too bad, since t-mobile is among the
furthest along mobile providers.  I don't remember if I mentioned it
during the talk, but t-mobile's v6 offering has 100% coverage, and is
impressive in that it's the largest v6 *only* deployment I know of,
where you reach the v4 net via nat64/dns64.

    The more software-y things around here that do it without trouble
include win-XP, a few macs, linux + freebsd boxes, old cisco boxes I use
for lab gear, some apple ios stuff, and my wireless AP running third
party firmware.  The AP's stock firmware claimed v6 support, but I had
no interest in running it.

    Work's juniper boxes claim not to have any trouble with it, but I'm
not likely to test that.  They'll have other work to be doing.  Several
of work's printers claim to support it.