[Discuss] On-site backups revisited - rsnapshot vs. CrashPlan

Rich Pieri challenged me with:
> Or, you know, a ZFS or Btrfs snapshot.

> Took me zero seconds to make my backup system do it all
> automatically, plus about a minute to put together the little
> script that does a scrub from cron every week.

It's a lot more than zero seconds to rebuild a big file server; converting 8TB
of data from any fs to any other fs is a lot more than a few hours.  Alas, the
O/S distro that I'm currently using precludes the zero-effort solution that
you recommend: btrfs has only been supported in very-recent O/S distros.

Once I modernize these servers then I'll look into the btrfs conversion.  I
presume that btrfs is gaining traction faster than zfs but I'll leave that to
the experts here.

-rich