[Discuss] [OT] Migrating domain to Google?

On 2/7/2013 5:35 AM, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I am looking at migrating my domain name and my two email boxes from
> another provider to google.
>
> For those who have done it, how difficult was it to have Google import
> your old mail from:
>
> 1: A non google address?
>
> 2; A <user>@gmail.com address?
>

> Keeping people/dates intact of emails and mailbox subfolders on the
> google domain side?
>
> Anything to be careful of?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

Hi Scott,

A while back I moved the company I work for to a corporate gmail
account.  I had to import a huge amount of emails for about 50 staff.
Think CEO for the last 10+ years who deletes nothing.

Google offers some software, if I remember correctly Windows only, that
will connect to your old email accounts and import everything to the new
gmail accounts.  Note that this software was very slow and had to be
restarted a few times.  It also didn't transfer all email.  Maybe 1 or
2% of email was not transferred for reasons I could not figure out.
Dates and sub folders worked.

For a corporate environment it can be a chore, but for a single person
it should be a breeze.  Take a look at their migration software.

Hope that helps,

Eric