[Discuss] Ext4, ugh! Re: Disk recovery utilities - dealing with deleted files

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 08:37:34 -0800
"Rich Braun" <richb at pioneer.ci.net> wrote:

> I think I'm out of options, and have lost about 400GB that hadn't yet
> been backed up.  But I'll keep that terabyte volume around just in
> case it's ever retrievable.  Meanwhile I mean what I say about not
> using ext4 for this use case anymore.

I suggest that ext4 not be used for anything. It offers little to no
benefit for volumes smaller than 32TB and files smaller than 16TB, and
it is inferior to XFS when larger volumes and files are required.

Since data integrity is of paramount importance to you then I suggest
using Btrfs with 4 or more disks and raid10 data and metadata. It may
not perform quite as well as XFS but GigE is the bottleneck if you
have 3Gbps or faster disks. Then you get the snapshot mechanism which
can help protect against accidental erasures.

--
Rich P.