[Discuss] Encouraging Children to Explore Open Source

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 7:50 PM, Chris O'Connell <omegahalo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> My friend's 9 year old nephew has an inquisitive mind.  He takes
> electronics apart, figures out how they work and reassembles them,
> sometimes adding other components like LEDs or battery packs.
>
> I have a couple of the Genesi smart boxes hanging around and thought that
> giving him one may be a good introduction to the world of Open Source.  I'm
> afraid he may be overwhelmed however.  I have trouble thinking that a 9
> year old will be able to find a creative use for Linux, as the OS is pretty
> complicated and requires a lot of knowledge.  Further, why would someone so
> young like to play with a somewhat primitive Gnome interface when they have
> an Android Tablet and a Windows laptop at their disposal?
>
> Can anyone recommend any ways/programs/resources to encourage interest in
> Open Source to a kid of this age?
>
> --
> Chris O'Connell
> http://outlookoutbox.blogspot.com

How about the incorporation of ham radio and linux?    There are many
areas to explore, some of which might include:

- Logging programs
** Establish a centralized database on the Internet which the logging
program can interface with verify/check if another party has also
entered the contact made, helping to validate the entry
- Rig control to computer
- License exam q/a testers to prepare a user for a an exam (at least for the US)
- Multi-use program to tackle ham radio's digital modes and maybe
establish a new digital mode?
- Many others I cannot think of right now

I understand 9 years old, but ham radio is a wonderfully interactive
hobby that a youngster with ambition, and time, can really get
creative with.

Scott, WY1Z