[Discuss] nfs hard links

"Edward Ned Harvey (blu)" <blu at nedharvey.com> writes:

> Can you hard link a NFS mounted file to another NFS mounted file on the same NFS system?

    In general, the way to answer questions about capability with an RPC
protocol is to find the .x file used by the RPC protocol compiler,
rpcgen.

    On my system, that's /usr/include/rpcsvc/nfs_prot.x .  In it, you
will find:

program NFS_PROGRAM {
	version NFS_VERSION {
[...]
		nfsstat
		NFSPROC_LINK(linkargs) = 12;

		nfsstat
		NFSPROC_SYMLINK(symlinkargs) = 13;

where this is the NFSv2 spec ("#define NFS_VERSION 2" in a nearby
header).  The rest of the spec hints further that these do what you
think.  If still in doubt, NFS is rfc defined.