[Discuss] Cinnamon

F. Ozbek wrote:
> Tom Metro wrote:
>> F. Ozbek wrote:
>>> There is no default desktop concept on Linux Mint.
>>> You can use Mate, Cinnamon, KDE or Xfce.
>>
>> I see. And the project doesn't recommend one?
>
> As far as I know there is no "recommended desktop".

I recently ran across an article mentioning how Debian (this past year,
but not that recently) made the switch to Xfce as their default choice,
although the others can be selected if the user prefers them.

> It was generally very slow.

I often hear desktops described as being fast or slow, but I can't say
I've really observed any noticeably significant speed differences among
desktops. Maybe this only exhibits itself on slower hardware or with
less memory.

When you say a desktop is fast, what exactly are you referring to? The
speed with which windows redraw as you switch among them or move them?

I did see issues with one of the Unity releases that I used briefly
before installing an alternate desktop, which behaved sluggish, but it
was apparently a known defect.

And Cinnamon does grind to a crawl when FF has been running for a few
weeks and eats up 80% of the system's memory, but I don't really see
that as the fault of the desktop.

> Couple of odd behaviors.(windows disappearing, etc.)

I haven't seen anything like that. Aside from the superficial
differences, its functionally indistinguishable from GNOME 2. (A few
behaviors are different due to Compiz options I had under GNOME 2, like
the window switcher.)

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro