[Discuss] Interesting rant about Gnome 3

On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 21:25:10 -0500
Tom Metro <tmetro+blu at gmail.com> wrote:

> needed. Boiling down to an "us vs. them" approach. "You have to decide
> if you want to be a GNOME application or not." So much for the open
> desktop standard.

Gnome has never been compliant with any open desktop standard.

> If their approach to desktop design has so diverged from what is
> typical in the broader Linux community, why haven't we heard about
> all the 2nd tier (semi-regular contributors) departing the project?

Because those folks all abandoned Gnome between 1999 and 2005. Then the
core developers who didn't like Gnome ThreePointZero's radical
philosophy left circa 2005-06 when development started in earnest.
There's nobody left at Gnome Central who doesn't agree with what
they're doing -- or if there are then they're being very quiet about
their disagreement.

This isn't news. Gnome's been alienating developers and users since
Gnome 2's release in 1999. What is news is that the Gnome team has
finally given up any pretense of caring about either non-core
developers or users.

--
Rich P.