[Discuss] Its not possible to make things easier for users

On 01/15/2013 09:08 AM, Kent Borg wrote:
> A trio of late-in-the-thread observations:
>
>  - There is a trade-off between simple and powerful, but one can
> always make both worse by adding a serving of "stupid", conversely,
> one can always make something both simpler *and* more powerful by
> removing some of the unnecessary "stupid" (eventually you might run
> low on stupidities to harvest, so there can be limits, but don't give
> up too soon using the trade-off argument as your excuse). Occasionally
> one can change the game with a hunk of "clever" that later makes the
> previous idea look stupid.

Albert Einstein: Things should be as simple as possible, but no simpler.

>  - There are some extremely powerful and easy to use technologies out
> there that are made possible by standardization, both in defining what
> the product does and by using powerful standard components. Good
> examples are indeed cars. And phone calls. Note that there sometimes
> needs to be a lot of education about the properties of the product for
> this to happen. Even morons know a lot about what cars are good for
> and what they are not good for, similarly the properties of a phone
> call are well defined, though the phone example has been in a lot of
> flux in recent years. GPS is an amazing set of physics and
> technologies, yet it can be packaged into extremely easy-to-use
> products once one defines the product and engineers it carefully.

One of the "hard to see" aspects of this discussion is the variation of
the goal set for the task. In the case of phones calls, GPS systems, and
cars, there is very little variability in the goal set, therefore it is
possible to engineer a simple solution because the number of legitimate
options are quite small.

Where we get in to trouble is when the "goal set" starts to vary. With
music, we have formats, quality, size, and proprietary technologies.
This complicates the viable solution.

This is why I think people get confused about computers. Computers are
not DVD players. Yes, they *can* play DVDs, but they can also do almost
anything else. You can't think of a general purpose computer as an
appliance. You can think of a particular app, designed to handle a
particular goal set, as an appliance.