[Discuss] Its not possible to make things easier for users

Derek,

A coworker of mine pointed out to me that there are a small number of
car engines out there that really can't run on low octane gasoline. He
was specific about the new BMWs (he's a BMW guy) requiring 89 octane
gasoline.

So yes, there are exceptions. Such exceptions are documented (at least
they'd better be). Also, I looked up some of the BMW documents about
this. I quote:

"The minimum AKI Rating is 89.
If you use gasoline with this minimum AKI Rating, the engine may
produce knocking sounds when starting at high outside temperatures.
This has no effect on the engine life.

Minimum fuel grade
Do not use any gasoline below the minimum fuel grade; otherwise, engine
damage may occur."

And then BMW recommends BP gasoline. That aside, yes, if you run a 2012
or 2013 BMW with 87 octane gasoline you may well ruin the engine, void
the warranty, etc.

--
Rich P.