[Discuss] Its not possible to make things easier for users

On 01/14/2013 04:00 PM, Rich Pieri wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 15:35:02 -0500
> Mark Woodward <markw at mohawksoft.com> wrote:
>
>> It should be noted that "knock sensors" detect a gas detonation and
>> cause the control system to retard the engine timing. Two things
>> about this: The detonation damages the engine
> A single detonation won't damage the engine.

A single detonation won't damage an engine much. The timing retard that
happens after a know is temporary. You will get repeated knocking even
with sensors. You just won't notice it except for the lack of power and
fuel efficiency.
> Repeated detonations will.
> "It won't knock if the engine sensors are working properly."

You won't hear it know, but it will knock.

>> and the time retardation reduces engine performance and efficiency.
> "You lose 10 HP at the high end." Less octane equals less engine
> performance.

Octane is interesting, it reduces gasoline's ability to ignite causing
it to burn more slowly. Because of this, high performance engines need
to advance the timing to the point where it is likely still compressing
the air/fuel mixture when the spark kicks off.  It is paradoxical, but
lower octane fuel is more combustible.

> Certainly, higher octane gasoline makes high performance engines work
> better but it isn't necessary

That's not true. If your engine is tuned for high octane gas, that's
what you should use. If you don't want to use it, you can have a
mechanic de-tune your engine for lower grade gas. Just putting low
octane in your system will harm it.

> (with some exceptions which won't work
> *at all* without very high octane content). No, the *real* real reason
> is Ford advertises 650HP @ 6,250RPM for the Shelby.

Yes, and the power plant is tuned for the higher octane gas.

> The 10 HP reduction
> from regular gasoline would lead to a false advertising lawsuit.

No doubt that people would be upset if their car failed to live up to
the hype. Mazda had just such an issue. I'm sure it is probably a
serious concern, but not the sole reason.

> Or Ford
> would have to down-rate the performance to 640HP @ 6,250RPM which looks
> less impressive on the spec sheets. It's all marketing.

It is not all marketing. There is some serious science here that should
not be ignored.

>> Even Apple is getting spanked for being too simple. More people use
>> android than iPhone.
> On the other hand, more people buy Apple than buy Samsung or HTC or
> Motorola. The three combined might beat Apple but Apple still beats each
> of them separately.

Actually, Samsung has 23% of the phone market and Apple has 9%

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/05/samsung-apple-continue-smartphone-marketshare-tug-of-war/