[Discuss] Its not possible to make things easier for users

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 01:27:34PM -0500, Rich Pieri wrote:
> The guy who "knows, and cares" isn't Joe Consumer.

In that specific area, yes.  Though, that doesn't preclude the notion
that the same guy could be Joe Consumer with regard to anything or
everything else...

I think it's reasonable to define Joe Consumer as the guy who doesn't
know.  He might care if he knew enough to, but he does not, so caring
is largely irrelevant.  A buyer may know but not care; that is really
still a different case.  That buyer can generally figure out what they
need to do to "make it work" regardless of what they end up with.

> > Now, that isn't true. *at all*. Many high end car drivers have to buy
> > premium because their cars knock.  Performance cars typically need
> > the extra octane. Many "joes" drive cars like mustangs and such.
>
> Mustangs run just fine on regular (87 octane) gasoline.

Only the base (V6) does.  Every other model of Mustang (GT, Boss,
Shelby) require premium gas.

> This is precisely what Ford recommends.

  http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/specifications/engine/

See for yourself.

> > Again, what about the joes that put in really really great audio
> > systems in their cars?
>
> Likewise an idiot. A car interior -- any car interior -- has some of
> the worst acoustics of any enclosed space you could ever encounter.

That's largely true, but it's also not to say that the quality of your
car audio makes no difference.  Some stereos are just crap, and will
sound like crap, where others... don't.  In the same car.  The stock
audio in my car sounds like crap at low volumes, but sounds OK at
higher volumes.  That's not universally true, and I've considered
upgrading so I don't have to go deaf to enjoy listening to music while
I'm driving.

My car also requires premium gas... but it's not a Mustang.

-=-=-=-=-