[Discuss] OSS licenses (was Home NAS redux)

On 01/09/2013 07:13 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) wrote:
>> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
>> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of John Abreau
>>
>> Under democracy, citizens are prohibited from seizing power by force and
>> imposing a military dictatorship on their fellow citizens. Under anarchy,
>> citizens are not so prohibited.
>>
>> The equivalent CDDL-type argument would be that anarchy is "more free"
>> because you're not prohibited from taking away everyone else's freedom.
>>
>> It strikes me as absurd to claim that a system that fails to protect
>> freedom is somehow "more free".
> I think you're hinting that CDDL fails to protect freedom.  Please elaborate, but begin by reading the CDDL.

The problem with the CDDL is that it allows you to combine CDDL licensed
software with non-CDDL licensed software to create a "larger work" which
is not CDDL where only the CDDL portions are protected. This will do
nothing to prevent the MIT kerberos problem.

The freedom to deny freedom is NOT a freedom. By combining the FREE
software with NON-FREE software you can create NON-FREE software. This
does not protect FREE software.

It is your right to create non-free software. It is your time and effort
i.e. "personal capital." No one who supports freedom would deny you
that, and I myself make my living doing so.  However, taking someone
else's "personal capital" which you acquired exercising your freedoms,
modifying it it and then denying anyone the same freedoms for the whole
is theft, legally in the case of GPL or morally in the case of MIT/BSD.
It is personally repugnant to me to take what is not mine and deny the
benefits of it to others. I consider that unethical.

The only inversion example in this is the GPL modifications to BSD/MIT
code, and while unfortunate for the BSD/MIT folk, no actual freedom was
lost because, as we all know: the freedom to deny freedom is not a freedom.