[Discuss] The perpetual question: current "best" HDD?

Dan Ritter <dsr at randomstring.org> suggested:
> Seagate and WD both have drives rated for NAS duty at slight ($10-20)
> premiums over the They get a better warranty, as well.
>
> for instance,
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148902
> is $130 rather than $110, for which you get a three year
> warranty instead of two.

I just made a purchase of qty 3 of Seagate STBD3000100 via:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1358043

The Newegg page for Dan's suggested 2TB Seagate makes no claims about
warranty.  The TigerDirect for my purchase makes a 2-year manufacturer
warranty claim.

What's printed on the box?  A 1-year warranty.

All these vendors are rapidly losing our collective trust.  Seagate has been
"reliable" for me, but with an asterisk:  I've made at least 4 or 5 warranty
claims over the last decade, out of about maybe 30 drives.  I believe all of
those were more than a year after initial installation.

-rich