[Discuss] data caps

On 01/08/2013 03:26 PM, Matthew Gillen wrote:
> On 01/08/2013 03:13 AM, Tom Metro wrote:
>> If you really expect to reach near 100% coverage of households,
>> inevitably you would still need government funding for areas where the
>> population is too sparse. That still doesn't necessarily mean government
>> operated fiber.
>
> Another option:
> http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/01/satellite-internet-15mbps-no-matter-where-you-live-in-the-us/

I know 2 people who did use satellite internet. They were both screwed
when Dishnet was sold, and refused to honor their contracts. I don't
recall the details. One guy lived in Holland, Ma and did not have a
broadband provider and it was a long distance call to the nearest dialup
ISP. He liked the satellite for a while. He was the guy who got the idea
to Pam the dish in bad weather. In any case, he has since moved 1 town
over to Union, Ct where he has Cox cable. But, Satellite is good for
those like my friend who do not have much of a choice. And,of course,
the latency is an issue as others have mentioned.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix