[Discuss] data caps

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Matthew Gillen
>
> Another option:
> http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/01/satellite-internet-15mbps-no-
> matter-where-you-live-in-the-us/

I know from past experience that the satellite orbit altitude causes ~ 250ms at the speed of light up, and ~250ms at the speed of light down.  Latency.  Which agrees with what they said in this article - latency is about a half a second.

They say that's not good enough for gaming...  Rightly so...  But they say for voice, it's perfectly fine.  Which is ... bogus.  At least, bogus for people who intend to have two-way conversations with humans.  I formerly tried using a satellite link as my main voice channel, and you start talking, and a second later the person is talking over you, and then you both back off...  It just happens way too frequently, and waste a whole lotta time handshaking.  You'll only do it if you have no other alternative.  (For example, you're on a ship in the middle of the ocean.)