[Discuss] data caps

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (blu)
<blu at nedharvey.com>wrote:

> > From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> > bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Matt Shields
> >
> > profit sharing.  Quincy happened to strike a good deal with Comcast and
> > they do not want to renegotiate with them to allow competitors because
> > their percentage per household in the city will go down and thereby
> cutting
> > some of the revenue for the town.
>
> Somebody should take away those voters' right to vote.    ;-)   "Yes, I'll
> vote for higher prices, or lower freedom or less quality, if it means lower
> taxes."  I'll repeat:  "I'll vote for less competition, and higher prices,
> and lower taxes."    hehehehh   "I would rather pay Comcast the same money
> directly, instead of paying the same money to local government for
> something else."
>
> (not serious, to anyone who would actually take it seriously and flip out
> like a crazy person)

Don't get me wrong, I think Comcast and other's should pay a fee for using
public polls or digging in the ground to run their lines.  The city is
responsible for this public space and has to maintain it, so they need
funds to do so.  But I also think Comcast/Verizon or others shouldn't be
able to hold a town hostage from bringing in competitors from offering
services by threatening to lower their fee they pay to the town/city.

Matt