[Discuss] Is ext4 still dangerous for vmware client?

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Jerry Natowitz
>
> I'm thinking of taking the plunge and setting up a Linux client on Windows 7.
> A while ago I read that ext4 for certain, and possibly ext3 had problems with
> corruption when used within vmware clients.
>
> If that was true, is it still the case?
>
> Also, should I be looking at using LVM so that I can more easily migrate to
> larger "disks"?

Never heard of that problem.  Do it all the time.  Never had a problem.  Also at work, deploy and support this exact setup for users, who also never had any such problem.  And it also strikes me as illogical anyway - why would ext4 specifically care if it was running inside a VM or physical hardware?  That's kind of the point of a VM - the guest needn't know or care that it is a VM.

Don't limit yourself to just vmware.  Although Workstation and Player are both fine products, I'm biased in favor of VirtualBox, based on experience deploying these.  Each solution has pros/cons, you should consider them each and choose what's best for you.