[Discuss] ZFS vs. Btrfs

On Wed, 2 Jan 2013 10:55:24 -0500
Rich Pieri <Richard.Pieri at gmail.com> wrote:

> I cannot honestly compare performance since I was running RAID-Z with
> ZFS and mirrored data+metadata with Btrfs. I have a test computer at
> work that I will use at some point to make valid comparisons.

Following up on this, I've taken the opportunity this weekend to
migrate the N40L from Btrfs to ZFS-FUSE in a mirrored configuration
(two mirrors of two disks each). Taking the parity calculations out of
the loop makes for a huge performance difference. It's 5-10 times
faster than RAID-Z and close to Btrfs performance for reads. Writes are
still slower than Btrfs but that's FUSE's fault. I know I can get at
least a twofold write performance boost with a native ZFS driver so the
next step will be to see what I can do with Debian kFreeBSD.

--
Rich P.