[Discuss] [OT] iOS from a power user's perspective

The trend today is toward touch-screen devices, but as we all know you
can get a number of different keyboard options. I tend to use my Android
smartphone quite a bit including the soft keyboard. I love my Nook
Tablet that I use primarily as a book reader, but I can also use it as a
web browser or play games on it. I don't have a psychosis on
fingerprints. The issue is that Apple opened up a Pandoras Box when they
came out with the iPhone and iPad. The portability of tablets is
excellent. While I don't know where the future is going with these, they
have already killed the netbooks. I bought my netbook primarily to use
for presentations, and to use initially at BLU meetings. On my todo list
is to see how my Smartphone displays on MIT's overhead with HDMI. When I
travel these days only my smartphone and Nook Tablet travel with me. I
don't see any reason to use a computer. Microsoft is trying to
standardize to one consumer OS that fits all (Windows 8). Ubuntu is now
available on smartphones and tablets. So far, Windows 8 has not been
very popular, and Android and IOS dominate the tablet and smartphone
markets. Those of us who grew up with keyboards (and punch cards) will
be locked into the old technology as our parents were in a non-computer
environment. The younger kids are growing up with smartphones, texting,
and touch screens. One thing I'd like to see is an Ubuntu smartphone
with a portable plugin screen option (7in, 10in, larger). Use the
smartphone as my only device, then bring out the screen and keyboard for
desktop work, maybe dock it at home with a 24in screen and a full size
keyboard.

As far as my perspective on Android and IOS, I really like my Android
phone, but I also like the iPad I bought my mother, so today if I were
to buy a general purpose tablet, I would certainly consider an iPad, but
the Android tablets are also excellent.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix