[Discuss] Home NAS redux

On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 13:10:27 -0500
Mark Woodward <markw at mohawksoft.com> wrote:

> Well, the DOS version of Windows, windows 1.x through Windows ME,
> didn't have TCP until Windows 3.1(1) (as winsock). The 386 enhanced
> version, I'm not sure where that was implemented or by whom.

Microsoft. It was code named Wolverine.

> The Windows NT/32 bit OS/2 was taken from BSD.

The TCP/IP stack that shipped with NT 3.1 was based on System V
STREAMS, with code licensed from Spider.

The TCP/IP stack that shipped with Windows 95 and Windows/NT 3.5 is an
updated version of Wolverine. It has been part of Windows 9x and /NT up
to the present.

The OS/2 TCP/IP stack was written by IBM based on the BSD stack. It
might actually be the BSD stack ported to OS/2 but I'm not sure about
that.

Have any more misconceptions that you need clarified? I got plenty of
time to poke holes in your proclamations.

--
Rich P.