[Discuss] Home NAS redux

I know what I wrote but I do need to correct two of your factual errors.

On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 11:42:12 -0500
Mark Woodward <markw at mohawksoft.com> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that almost everyone used the original 'BSD TCP/IP
> stack as a reference. I know Windows' tcp/ip stack is from BSD.

A common misconception but one that in fact is not true. There are
vestiges inherited from Spider's STREAMS stack, notable in the command
line tools like ftp and rsh, but the stack itself was written from
scratch by Microsoft.

> Not really. They canceled the darwin project a LONG time ago.

The Darwin sources are there right up to the current release (10.8.2 as
of this writing) as are the WebKit sources, the GCC and LLVM sources,
and everything else. You'd have known this had you bothered to check the
link I provided.

The OpenDarwin project was shut down and turned into Mac OS Forge which
still hosts the renamed DarwinBuild project. DarwinBuild has been
largely supplanted by PureDarwin as a community-driven project.

--
Rich P.