[Discuss] Home NAS redux

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 15:33:30 -0500
Mark Woodward <markw at mohawksoft.com> wrote:

> If you want to use GPL code, you can do *anything* *you* want with
> it.

No, I cannot. The GPL binds software to itself. It is in this way that
GPL projects like the Linux kernel have taken from BSD without giving
anything back. They can't. Derivatives of GPL software are themselves
GPL software. Accepting code from the Linux kernel back into BSD would
turn the entire BSD tree into GPL software. The various BSD projects
refuse to accept the terms of the GPL.

Forcing someone to accept unwanted license terms in order to share in,
and benefit from, open source software development is not "freedom". It
is a denial of freedom. And as you quote:

"Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves"
--Abraham Lincoln.

Neither of us are right or wrong. We have different perspectives.

--
Rich P.