[Discuss] Home NAS redux

Not necessarily. We use a proprietary RAID system that does provide for
it. There are three phases covered: Park heads after x minutes, Reduce
disk speed after y minutes, and Spin down the disks after z minutes.
That last is good for our spare disks so that they have no wear until
needed. Haven't seen this with NAS4FREE or FreeNAS, it might be in other
projects.

On Mon, 2012-12-31 at 14:05 -0500, Rich Pieri wrote:
> > When not in use, I'd like the system to spin down the hard disks and
> > use less power.
>
> I advise against doing this with RAIDed disks. You can run into
> problems with spinup taking too long. This will fault the RAID set.
>
> --
Jonathan M. Prigot <jprigot at verizon.net>

dispose of the e-mail.