[Discuss] DRM -- Linux financial Software

On 12/29/2012 11:42 AM, Rich Pieri wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 09:20:38 -0500
> Daniel Barrett <dbarrett at blazemonger.com> wrote:
>
>> Sigh... if only it were that straightforward, Rich!
>>
>> I run old Windows XP for the sole purpose of running Quicken 2006,
>> which contains 45 years' worth of my financial records.
> Windows XP/7 isn't your problem. Intuit is your problem. You can't
> blame Microsoft for Intuit's crappy code and terrible customer-facing
> attitude. Dump Quicken for anything else. There are *plenty* of other
> financial and accounting packages out there that will Do The Right Thing
> with your data.
>
> I use Money Manager Ex, another open source option. I tried GNUCash but
> found it to be overkill for my needs.

One of the real reasons for using virtual machines is to run legacy
software. While Quicken is an example of a software package where there
are many good alternatives, there are some legacy software packages
where the company who write the software may have gone out of business
and the cost of converting is very high. Or, there is no native
alternative for your OS.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix