[Discuss] restoring Windows on different hardware

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 16:44:52 -0500
Doug <sweetser at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> I think the license management is a subset of rights management.

I believe that they are orthogonal issues. License management is in
fact licensor rights management while while digital rights management
taking away consumers' rights. DRM is how Amazon denies you the right
to read Kindle books except on those devices linked to your Amazon
account. DRM is how Sony denies you the right to install and play
PlayStation Store titles on all but a single specific device. DRM is
how the movie and TV industries deny you the right to record programs
despite this being a fair use right enumerated by federal law.

What rights does WPA (Windows Product Activation) deny you? I can't
name one. WPA is cumbersome, badly designed, poorly implemented, but
it doesn't deny you the right to install and use what you've legally
obtained.

--
Rich P.