[Discuss] OT Rant/Discussion C vs C++

I started programming back in the 1970s. When I learned C, C was a new
language. ANSI C was a big thing and we had to "port" to ANSI C because
various vendors implemented vagueness in the C syntax differently. Those
of us who understood portability between C compilers fared better.
Anyway, when C++ came along, it was a similar sort of deal. The rough
edges around the language were different across different vendors.
Templates especially. Understanding this always made maintaining the
code, over time, easier.

As C++ developed, those of us who were conservative in our
implementations fared well in the Borland/Microsoft C++ war.  In
adopting C++, the general rule was to use the "safe" constructs of the
language and use only those aspects of the language that facilitated the
architecture and leave the rest alone. Even today, aspects of C++ create
immense bloat in code. (Templates)

Maybe old habits are hard to break, I don't know, but I still consider
the old way a good design philosophy. The whole "[OT] C++ strings"
discussion is a perfect example. A C++ programmer and/or architect
should resist the temptation to be "language lawyers" and design
software that requires understanding the arcana of the language to
understanding the body of the code. It may be clever, but it makes the
code hard to understand and of reduced value in the future.