[Discuss] automation for installing to or converting to RAID

Rich Braun wrote:
> I'll offer kudos to the one vendor who has made software RAID incredibly easy
> to set up in its latest distro.  What amazes me is who it is: Microsoft.  You
> can convert an existing default installation of Windows 7 Ultimate to mirrored
> software RAID...
> I challenge the Linux distro vendors to make it that simple.

I doubt these meet the challenge, but I recently ran across:

http://raider.sourceforge.net/

  Raider is a tool to automate linux software raid conversion.
  It is able to convert a single linux system disk in to a software raid
  1, 4, 5, 6 or 10 system in a two-pass simple command.

and:

http://salamander-linux.com/

  The problem is that installing Linux onto a RAID array is non-trivial.
  None of the major linux distributions include an easy way to install
  Linux with RAID.
  Salamander is the solution. Salamander is a modified version of the
  default installer for Ubuntu Linux, Ubiquity. This modified installer
  allows users to easily install Ubuntu Linux onto a Software RAID
  array.

A step in the right direction.

 -Tom

--