[Discuss] The best Neal Stephenson quote

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 9:08 PM, Bill Horne <bill at horne.net> wrote:
> This is the best Neal Stephenson quote I've ever seen

Stephenson's bit in Cryptonomicon about Goto Dengo losing the war is
the absolute best illustration I've come across regarding the mindset
of the Japanese during WWII.  (At least, I imagine that must have been
their mindset; I have no way of knowing how they really thought and
felt.)  He also wrote a very good piece in Wired magazine called
"Mother Earth, Mother Board."  It was written in 1996, so it's about
"primitive" technology and lacks the perspective we have now about the
.com boom and bust, but it's still a fascinating piece that has a lot
of good history and solid Stephenson style.  Here's their "normal"
version:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/4.12/ffglass.html

and here's the "for printing" version, which is all on one page but
has a few minor formatting issues:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/4.12/ffglass_pr.html

Incidentally this is also the article that made me want to learn
welding, backhoe operation and maritime law so I could become an expat
and wander between technical jobs in the third world.  Clearly, my
life has not turned out how my much-younger self would have wanted.

-Dan