[Discuss] How smart is SMART?

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012, Jason Normand wrote:

> You should be able to setup smartmontools to run as a crown job to check
> the drive and send an email if it finds issues.  I'm sure there is a free
> version available for osx.  I'm not sure what other options are available
> for osx.  However as has been stated smart is far from fool proof.  But its
> better than nothing and its grounds for a warranty replacement.
> On Nov 24, 2012 10:05 PM, "Doug" <sweetser at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

See the now famous Google study of a zillion drives:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/18/massive-google-hard-drive-survey-turns-up-very-interesting-thing/
http://static.usenix.org/event/fast07/tech/full_papers/pinheiro/pinheiro_html/

Looks like 56% of failures had "no count in any of the four strong SMART
signals" , but it isn't clear from the article what percent of failures
were presaged by excess counts. Certainly it must be less than 56%, but
we aren't told how much less. The implication is "much less".

dan feenberg