[Discuss] Disabling UEFI and dual booting Linux and Windows

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:
> Fortunately at our installfests, we generally do not get brand new
> laptops, so I suspect we will not see a UEFI system on December 8th.
> Most Linux distros will be UEFI compliant by the end of December.

http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/20187.html

It looks like at least some Lenovo UEFI systems are SERIOUSLY broken.
 This actually has nothing to do with whether secure booting is turned
on or it.

 If your bootloader description isn't either "Windows Boot Manager" OR
"Red Hat Enterprise Linux", although it will boot from Fedora
installation media, but then refuse to boot from the system installed
on the hard drive.   Hopefully, Lenovo will provide BIOS updates to
fix this one.   I suppose one COULD  work around this by burning a CD
with a kernel/init that then mounts the hard drive for the root
filesystem.   Personally, I would just avoid Lenovo systems.

Bill Bogstad