[Discuss] Yet Another Laptop Recommendation Thread

    David> Any comparisons of HP vs Lenovo, or specific models that have
    David> worked or not worked with Linux would be great.

I don't have any experience with HP laptops, but I've been buying HP
desktops for my last two machines, and the sound is unreliable on
Linux.  I think the chips are the same in the laptops, so if that
matters to you, you might want to go with Lenovo.

This page
<http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt> seems
to be the explanation for why I have to plug my speakers into the front
headphone jack and can't use any of the 6 rear jacks.  If you buy an HP
and that turns out to matter to you and you get the rear jacks working
by trying all the options and hitting on one that works, let me know.

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad at laymusic.org, twitter: @serpentplayer)
(617) 661-8097	233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

I've been singing. I've been taking a part in White sand and grey
sand.  I don't know anything about it. Never mind. I'll take any part
in anything. It's all the same, if you're loud enough.

Charles Dickens, _Little Dorrit_