[Discuss] web server can't see out but others can see in

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Eric Chadbourne
>
> I did the following:
> 1.  I gave the server a static ip in virtualbox and on the router.

I'm just going to assume you know what you're talking about - because the above statement doesn't make sense to me - I understand assigning a static IP to the machine, and obviously the router will have a static IP, but "assigning a static IP to the machine and on the router"...  Not a phrase that makes sense in my world.

Althesame, I think that's just a wording issue.

> 2.  Opened port 80 on the cisco device.  Any source and any ip to
> static ip.  Firewall is disabled on server.
> 3.  Enabled One-to-One NAT.  This beast is new to me but nothing
> worked until I did it.

Ugh.
First of all, don't disable firewall on server.  (I understand, for testing purposes.)
Second, don't enable one-to-one NAT.

You just want a standard inbound port 80 access-list rule.  I assume you have a cisco support contract, right?  Call them for help if needed.

> My web server is visible from the world and is visible on our lan.
> Oddly my server cannot see out.  For example:
>
> eric at webserver1:~$ ping google.com
> ping: unknown host google.com

I bet it's only ping that's getting blocked.  Try telnet google.com 80, try wget some file from internet.