[Discuss] web server can't see out but others can see in

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 17:05:08 -0400
Eric Chadbourne <eric at aaca-boston.org> wrote:

> My web server is visible from the world and is visible on our lan.
> Oddly my server cannot see out.  For example:

You probably don't want one-to-one NAT. A simple port forward for port
80 on the firewall to port 80 on the instance is all that you need. Do
this first.

Check the default route on the instance. If you had originally
configured it with DHCP (the default state under VirtualBox) then the
default route is pointed wrong. Try pinging the default route's IP.

Check /etc/resolv.conf and make sure that the servers are correct and
that you can ping them. Use dig: dig @1.2.3.4 google.com. While you're
at it, try pinging 8.8.8.8 and dig @8.8.8.8.

--
Rich P.