[Discuss] hosts.equiv

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Nuno Sucena Almeida <nuno at aeminium.org>wrote:

> On 09/14/2012 09:51 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
>
>> When you run rsync, pass it "-e ssh -i/home/jdm/.ssh/rsync.key"
>>

> Or setup your .ssh/config with something like:
>
> Host remotehostnickname
>         HostName remotehostname
>         User remoteusername
>         IdentityFile ~/.ssh/rsync_id_rsa
>
>                                 Nuno

+1 The ssh config file is immensely useful

I replicate my ssh config file across a few different machines. Using the
nickname feature (plus IdentityFile for key-based logins) I simply:
  ssh it     (connect to IT operations host)
  ssh ws01  (connect to Web Server 1)
  ssh ws02
  ssh dev

etc.

Typing *ssh it* in response to the latest IT Ops "tragedy" is even mildly
cathartic in Freudian and Aristotlean terms [1], not to be confused with
the noun form of cathartic [2] unless you enjoy the irony.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharsis
[2] http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cathartic