[Discuss] can one safely login multiple times to the same user on a modern Linux desktop?

On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 09:52:05 -0400
Robert Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Not if you do something like kerberized NFS with mandatory access
> control.  Or use thin clients like SunRays.

Kerberized NFS and mandatory access control on the encrypted lower file
system won't prevent the attack. The victim's stacked $HOME file system
is unlocked and mounted when I log in.

Sun Ray terminals aren't necessarily a fix, either. My attack method
here is to use a USB flash drive with something malicious set to
autorun.

> So again, what happens to all of your shell history (not just command
> history, but output history in an xterm or emacs buffer)?  Or any
> long-running jobs you need to keep around?

The same thing that happens when a user who needs a workstation hits
the reset button and kills your session the hard way.

--
Rich P.