[Discuss] can one safely login multiple times to the same user on a modern Linux desktop?

On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 16:50:40 -0400
Bill Bogstad <bogstad at pobox.com> wrote:

> the end of the work day.   I realize that dedicated workstations are
> now the norm, but there was a time when it was considered cutting
> edge to allow people to login using whatever equipment happened to be
> in front of them.

True enough. And all of the Linux desktops available support this.
Technically, it's whatever distributed file system underneath storing
home directories plus the directory service and the authentication
system. The desktop environments don't care -- until you try to do it
concurrently.

Nothing with more sophistication than T/V/TWM handles this gracefully.
Using terminal services or VNC doesn't address this. You'll just have
users leaving their local sessions logged in and connected to the
VNC/NX/Citrix/whatever service.

But yeah, I'll admit that I'm looking at it in terms of security rather
than in terms of usability.

> [BTW, I don't think that I said anything about work day in this
> thread. That was John.]

It was the first thing that came to mind where one would forget
(intentionally or otherwise) to log out prior to an extended absence.

--
Rich P.