[Discuss] FPU differences based on different chips.

I don't know the exact details since the guy who ran the tests is in
Toronto. We have a tool that is a simulation generator. And yes, it does
use a random number generator, but I am assuming it is a known seed so
they can obtain predictable results.
One of my suggestions to him is to run it on 3 different VMs in Boston.
The initial test was on a separate cluster. The other 2 VMs I suggested
are on a cluster I have access to. By running on 3 different VMs in
Boston hopefully he will get consistent results. I'll follow up with him
on Tuesday. The system he is running is a simulation engine that we use
to generate scenarios. I'm pretty sure that the system he ran on the
physical machine in Toronto is using the same binary as the system he
ran here in Boston. I'm sure he was running this in test mode so he can
get predictable results. This is not the only simulation he ran. I'm not
sure how many, but it was only 1 simulation that had different results.
Most of our products are fully self contained where all the libraries
are included in the package, so the local installation should not affect
the product. But, even with packages libraries, such as glibc, the
system calls are handled by the OS, and some instructions are handled by
VMWare. Since the Toronto data center is going to move also, they are
getting some large IBM VMWare servers, so I might want him to run the
simulation on a VM in Toronto also. Several years ago I had a similar
issue with porting to an IA64 machine. This was when our product was
32-bits, so a lot of other issues were involved.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix