[Discuss] [OT] VZ Wireless carrier alternatives

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Jim Gasek
>
> I've had it with my $200/mo. VZ wireless bill.
> My needs are:
> - 3/4 phones "family plan" voice.
> - unlimited texting
> - (maybe later) data modem.  minmal bandwidth.
> - No smart phones

I switched to metropcs about a year and a half ago, and I'm wicked happy about it.  Unlimited everything, no contracts, no surprise fees.  Wife and I have smart phones, $45/mo each.  (Or $35/mo with no smart phone.)

Here are the only things they don't tell you:

Years ago, metropcs built out a 2G network.  Even if you get a 3G phone, you're stuck at 2G speeds. They have Mass and NH thoroughly covered, but in ME, you get voice only.  I'm not sure which other states are like that.

But they mooch off Verizon to sell you 4G.  So they do indeed have 4G offerings, which are also good.

Don't compare it against something like a Verizon or Tmobile "$50/mo" plan.  Because VZ and TM constantly slap you with surprise fees, and taxes aren't included, and if you don't like it, you're under contract, so tough nuggets.

For everything - navigation, browsing maps, searching for nearby establishments - 2G is good enough.  But not good enough for watching video, or downloading or installing apps.  For that, you use wifi.